Thursday, May 15, 2014

Musings in English Class

Right, so I'm supposed to be writing my english paper... but what else is a procrastinator to do? You got it, not do my work.  So I'll regret it later tonight when I have to write my whole rough draft for tomorrow, but for now it feels good to listen to ITunes Top 50 (how un-hipster of me) and fool around here.
Holy kittens, guess what? I got my first (or maybe 2nd) A+ on a Math test and I am so so so so so so so happy!!! I've been struggling with testing in math this whole year and last year as well, and I've been getting B-'s and --
wait, strike that Itunes Top 50 kind of sucks.  I think I'm listening to a Charmin's commerical... ugh kill me--

okay, sidebar over.  So B-'s and C's galore and maybe one 94 before, so it feel so good to get a 97%.  Not a perfect score, obvi, but seriously AWESOME.  I can't wait to tell mom and dad... and maybe get something out of it.  JK, but maybe lol... like perhaps the pair of Chloe shoes I've been begging for.  But I think they sold out of my size of the color I wanted... I'll see #firstworldproblems.

Life without mock trial is sad and depressing... I miss my team so much.  I seriously get emotional when I think of how close we got in Madison.  I mean, it still burns thinking about how we got ripped off, but it was worth it I think, in the end, because I really now love everyone there. Well, except for AD, because she's a major jerk, but other than that.

Caroline and I got so close and Polly and I as well.  Sara even warmed up finally and all Sonia wants to do is snuggle now haha. Not to mention how close I now feel with the coaches. Well, the head and assistant coach (jokes).  I really feel so close and trusting of them.  And I know they would do anything for me, and never lose faith in my abilities.

When Josh emailed us his adaptation of the Madeleine poem, in it there's a line that says "You're my guys", and I connect with that so much.  I don't know why, but whenever he says that, it warms my heart. I replied to his email and I almost cried when I got his response back.

Here's how it went (including the poem):
[Those of you who crashed early Saturday missed the bedtime story.  So I figured I'd send it around.  If you've read Madeline, you might recognize the form.  If you haven't, then you had an impoverished childhood and you should correct that.]


In a vine-covered building that was lighted with lamps,
Room 12 held a team of two straight champs.

For two straight years they listened well,
Kicked some ass,
And worked like hell.

They had trials that were good,
And jokes that were bad,
And coaches who were raving mad.

They beat opponents one-by-one
'Til they were done
And champions.

And all of this while having fun.

They were not afraid of chalks.
They beat Maimo -- cleaned their clocks.
To the Marshfield lovely script
Winsor said: "Bull. Sh!t."

And then just to seal their fate,
They gave Pioneer one more plate.

After they had won the fights,
Winsor's trophy case felt light
And they said, "Something is not right."

Madison was now the home
Of trials worthy of a poem.

And soon after they had tickets
And a group that they had picked
They were ready to attack.
"Team," they said, "We're going back!"

Everybody had to work,
Not a single person shirked.

Madison was now the spot
For us to take another shot.

Braving for another fight
We met again on Friday nights.

Winsor Women worked for many hours
To refine their powers.

Trialers soon learned the case,
Joking often about race.

Struggling on and rarely dozing.
(Meh, who needs to write a closing?)

Outside were sun, and trees, and sky.
And so four weeks passed quickly by.

One fine Wednesday filled with sun
The team said wouldn't it be fun
To go to Madison.

They checked their bags in ones and twos,
And did a puzzle with stupid clues.

Ate some pizza, drank some Coke,
While Josh told the Tale of Texas and the wonderful Clown Joke.

And the great Zombie Princess Team
I walked with once upon a dream.

Okay Madison, I'm here again.
And you'd better not cause my kids pain.

They played like champs,
Showed trademark sass,
Worked like hell,
And kicked some ass.

At the end of the last night,
Nobody was left to fight
And we felt Something is Not Right.

And while the results got bad and badder,
Winsor's team got mad and madder.

And Josh said, "Do, please, children
Tell me, what is troubling you?"
And all the Winsor Girls cried, "Boo hoo!
We want to have a fifth trial too!"

Goodnight, Winsor Girls.
Trial Five's not the prize.
I'm still your proud coach.
And you're still my guys.

So it's back to the world.
We'll shed no tears.

And that's all there is.

(At least until next year.)

Alexandra Farina afarina@winsor.edu

May 12 (3 days ago)
to Josh
I'm really happy I'm one of your guys.
Let's kick some ass next year

May 12 (3 days ago)
to me
Me too, kiddo.  You're the real deal.  And there's nothing I wouldn't do for you.






----------------

Ermegherd, I can't.  

He's made me feel so talented and worth it, I don't think I can ever thank him.

His stories, his encouragement, his critiques, his jokes really keep me going and legitimize what I'm doing which feels really amazing.  Doing something without encouragement is really hard... and the fact that I know him, and D, have my back unconditionally is a seriously incredible feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment